Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, June 21, 2013

Wild Geese

I've always heard that if a dog and a goose fought that the goose would usually win by whacking the dog in the nose with it's wings in a "cup cuen"  haymaker like motion. Today while walking around the pond, Jonah pushing his little car, there was a very small dog walking in front of us. Suddenly walking in between geese it became interested in something. Later I saw that there were baby gosling geese right there. They were fuzzy instead of feathered and were as big as ducks. I actually never saw goslings before. Anyway one goose came flapped his or her wings down on the dog seeming more to shoo him away than whack him. The dog left but the call the goose made brought all the geese coming over. It was like an HK gang movie, gu wak jai, except geese. I was actually worried now because Jonah is pretty much the same height as them and now they seemed to be more interested in us than the dog. Like there was a call to warn of danger but no follow up language to say that it was the dog and not the child or that the dog had left. After all they are geese. Their language is limited I guess. Actually I've seen humans behave just like this too so maybe I shouldn't talk smack about geese.
I put Jonah into the stroller instead of having him walk through and I walked ahead of the stroller in case they decided to nip at him with their beaks. Because they are prey animals they all stood perpendicular to us with their beaks facing the pond. So they were facing the pond but their eyes are on the side of their heads so that is the only position where they can stare at us. It was interesting to me because of course the white crane is also a bird and I do white crane Kung Fu. And we always have our chest facing perpendicularly to our enemy. (This is a generalization of course, and actually our system has other animals too so I shouldn't say always) We do this by turning our waist. Our faces still face our enemy because even though the movements are crane-like there is no changing the fact that we have the faces of primates. I didn't really learn anything new from this encounter, but it was just interesting seeing  a bunch of geese rush over like a gang or soldiers and then square off, only their squaring off looks like their all suddenly staring out at the water until you realize they can only stare from the side of their head.

No comments:

Post a Comment