Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, June 17, 2013

The Beautiful Warrior.

I just borrowed a children's Kung Fu Book from the library. It basically tells the story of Ng Moi and Wing Chun, or one version of the oral history anyway. I remember writing a paper about this type f oral history in Highschool and actually also wrote about Ng Moi on a College application Essay to Emanuel. It asked what historical woman I looked up to. (Emanuel had just gone coed from being an all women's college.)
Before whenenevr I talked about these stories, because I didn't have written sources people would just think I saw a movie or made it up. Actually I heard most of the stories from my Sifu and most of the versions on TVB or in the movie varied drastically from the stories he told me.
This book was purposefully vague when talking about the Kung Fu training but had nice historical details  too. The pictures are cool too. They are simultaneously very Kung Fu Movie-esque and very Children's book illustration-esque. We'll see if Noah even likes it. It has a lot of words so it's not the type of book for Jonah.
It also is pretty much the same story I had heard. So now thanks to the white woman who wrote the book (or at least woman with an Irish last name) I have a Children's Kung Fu book about real (more or less) characters who are said to have founded the Ng Moi and the Wing Chun system.
Looking forward to story time tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment