Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Chinatown "Spring" summer festival

We did make it into Chinatown and got the kids into uniforms. It was a good thing too because the school ended up needing us. The kids got way too hot when they were on stage though. The stage was black and absorbed heat. This year the festival ended up being ahead of schedule and Randy AKA Shen Long sang to stall. Randy is a bit of a Chinatown celebrity. He is a African American man who sings Hong Kong pop songs from the 90's at banquets weddings and events like today. He sings well and his pronunciation is good. It's pretty cool. I wanted the kids to get a picture with him but I actually had to take them off the stage After my form because they were overheated and Grace went to go get them ice water. I did two forms and then Tony Yee asked the group to stall until the next performers showed up. We were short people, which was an opportunity for me. I went up and did Wheels on the Kung Fu bus. It was actually difficult because I had to hold the mic in one hand. Eventually I got a child from the audience to hold the mic for me (though he kept drooping it lower and lower) and a few others and even Noah emerged to perform the Kung Fu Bus and then a section of Sup Ji. Actually Noah just came on stage and hid behind me laughing. He told me later, "Baba I only like to do Kung Fu at Shao Baos house and at the school not in the Chinatown."
He'll come around. The other kids, who I'm pretty sure I had never seen before (but you can never be really sure) followed along pretty well. That little stunt seemed to get me noticed by the director of Main Streets. To bad I didn't bring business cards with me.

We bought some fish balls and hot dogs on sticks and that along with some baos previous to the performance was the children's not quite lunch.

Then we strolled around a little bit and I knew Noah really wanted to go home because he asked to go through the smelly Chinatown elevator to get to the T to go home. That ordeal really brought my Chinese Festival experience home for me because it truly smelled like a port a potty in Hong Kong. I noticed when I was in Hong Kong that its seemed like pee just was that much more pungent. I think it's because of yeet hei.
We road that blissful air conditioned orange line train to Green Street where we passed that playground and went to the Tot lot instead, where Jonah slept and Noah played for pretty much the rest of the day until I bribed them to leave with promises of cake, which turned into ice cream instead. I had planned to go back in for the 4:50 Federation performance with Noah.... but it didn't work out. But the kids had fun and at least we got to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment