Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Voting Day

Today is voting for a special election. Did I vote yet? No. i'm getting to it. Believe it or not despite having no job I haven't had a chance yet. My plan is to wait in line during Jonah's nap.
Who am I voting for?
It's funny, I'm an Independent, and increasingly my ideology is leaning more toward what Republicans say they are about. I say "say" because in the end, I don't think they are really about small government at all. They just like to say it. But I do see a point to the "hands off" approach. Here's why.
I was never on WELFARE with a big W. The W with stigma and anger from those who "pay their taxes proper"  But I have benefited in many ways from welfare small w. For instance, I grew up in the projects. Housing that is artificially cheaper due to government subsidizing.
I was never like, "Thank you father government for providing me with housing. I will remain forever loyal and in your debt."
I was like, "Why does the water sometime come out brown and smell like sewage? Why do we have to put up with surprise inspection where people can come in and snoop around whenever they want so long as they put up a piece of paper to say they are going to do it that morning? Why does the power go out? Why to the stairs have heroin needles and underwear with poop in it? Why do we always have to worry about being robbed on the way home?"

Now if we hadn't ever had the option of affordable housing we wouldn't have been homeless. I guess my mom would have moved in with her Parents in Philadelphia. Then again that might have been awkward at first because my Father was Chinese. But Adam Smith's invisible hand would indeed have corrected the situation one way or another. Maybe I would have just ended up dead and the problem would have been solved that way.
Now the counter argument (my counter argument) is that it's probably cheaper for the government to provide  housing than for other organizations to step in and provide it. Why cheaper? Because the organizations that will take in flocks of people will be Churches, Cults, Political organizations, gangs, and when these organizations take in people off the street, starving, even if the  housing isn't ideal, these people will swear loyalty to the private organization that saved their life and will vote accordingly at the ballot, or if you are not in democracy, with fists guns and bombs. The Government will then have to restore order, possibly put down a rebellion... so you see, it is just cheaper to provide housing in the first place. That's why we got here.

So I guess I don't agree with the Republican (okay more like the AYN RAND ideal) ideal of doing away with welfare big and small W. small W being, public schools, breakfast and lunch programs, government healthcare, unemployment, police departments, fire departments, public works... all things which technically can be provided by private investors.. people I will never get a chance to vote for.

But I do believe there is a point to that kind of thinking and that the current systems could be tweaked to work better and cost the government less money. For instance, what if there was a partnership between companies in the housing and school system? Like if schools taught students in a way that benefited the company that would eventually hire them. I'm sure you would have plenty of computer programming classes and schools would vary differently company to company.

This sounds like a horrible idea for people who will say, "that's like slavery where companies own you", or "they will do away with the arts for sure."

Well first of all. Could our school's get worse? Plus you could go to Private school. And also, these companies and school's will compete with each other to create the most successful students instead just outsourcing to India or China. (India has a huge population and therefore has more honor students than America has students.) If these competing school's find (as it has been shown) that music classes make you better at math. That school will have music classes. If they find that sports or Yoga or a certian diet or whatever makes you have better health and therefore means you will work longer for the company and will be cheaper to the company if you have no health problems they will do that. And the companies will compete against each other and use different methods and the government can see which one does better.


Far fetched or a stupid idea? Yeah after all I'm just writing on my blog to myself.  I guess I will vote Democrat today, mainly because I cannot bring myself to vote for the Republican candidates that run. Not because they suck as people. Not that they don't have a point with their worldview. Ultimately I just don't like the look, the aesthetic feel of their advertisements.

No comments:

Post a Comment