Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Time's Black Lives Matter

I was waiting to pick up a prescription for Noah at CVS, (ear infection, and eye infection probably from swimming) I picked up Time magazine because it had some article on the police side of black lives matter. As I was looking through the magazine the first thing I felt was how strange the idea of a magazine even is nowadays. I mean you can get all this from your twitter or Facebook feed.
Anyway, there was a brief little article from the editor that was just complete nonsense. I  have seen some articles that are actually good responses from the police. But this one immediately said, "This goes beyond race, it's about jobs." What difference does it make what kind of job you have if the police shoot you dead? Plus the last shooting in the news was of a white kid. That's where I thought they were going with the this goes beyond race thing.
Then it goes on to say, "You can change everything about the police but it won't necessarily change the dynamic."

Well let's try changing all that first and then see.

I mean Japan has a big racial dynamic and a big class dynamic, but they don't have a police problem at all. Let's take a look at some of the things other countries do before saying, "oh you can do that but it won't change "the dynamic"" I think the protests are about people dying. Because getting roughed up by police is one thing. You can get over that. But when you are dead you are dead, there's no second chance.

Recently me and my kids have been making whips which reminds me of a famous cop from Hawaii. Apana Chang.
Apana Chang inspired the Charlie Chan books because he was a Chinese detective. But the personality of Charlie Chan is the author's Earl Derr Biggers himself. Apana Chang's image, the Panama hat with the bullwhip at his side, probably inspired Indian Jones.

Chang would actually whip kids. Because he did not carry a gun. His idea was that he would whip them when they were young, so he didn't have to arrest them or shoot them when they were older. This sounds crazy nowadays... except when you consider that now kids are being shot when they are young.

No comments:

Post a Comment