Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Stick Fightin

Noah has been waking up pretty early every morning and we have been going to the park to do stick fighting and sometimes light saber fighting. The difference is mostly what type of sticks we are holding. For lightsaber fighting, Noah carried his "Ezra" lightsaber from Star Wars rebels that Mommy got him. I carry a pool noodle. That was not as successful because chances are he will eventually break the plastic toy.

Usually we bring the sticks we have collected and sometimes painted for that purpose.

Both activities are a pretty good workout in the morning and I realize that if I don't get a full cardio workout, it's just because I am being lazy. It's easier to jump around and do spinny moves with the pool noodle because I can be less cautious, whereas with a staff I could actually hurt Noah if I don't pay attention. We alternate pretending to shoot lasers too, which means running away, which means sprinting. Sometimes I pause in a dramatic stance which is good strength training and stretches me out as well.

Sometimes  Noah actually gets me now and I feel that even I am learning about how the Kung Fu moves are used just through playing. Of course I had to learn the forms first to know those moves and I had to practice by myself first to get them smooth, but I feel like Noah is just learning them just from watching and then immediately applying them. It's pretty cool.

Too bad Dai Dai is not into it. I wonder if we can continue this early morning play when the weather is colder and when school starts. It sounds pretty hard core to practice stick fighting at 6 am. But it also is obvious to people who see us when we have light sabers that it is a lot of fun for Noah. In fact it is really Noah that is waking me up to do this and not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment