Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Looking ate the performance video


This is the Video of the schools performance, which for various reasons, (less people, opportunity for Noah, etc.) the performance was sort of my chance to give Noah as much performance time as possible. Because Jonah simply would not be his tail on stage, I was the tail. I should have walked on my haunches the way I did for the CASP performance, because it's true, the baby head looks weird. In fact so old men complained about it but then some other people who probably knew me were like "That's the father! Hush!"
I actually hear dnone of this, others told me about this humorous conversation.
Regarding my Fu Hok song ying kuen, which I sort of warmed up on a little the week before, I realize I need to work on the opening. I tried to save power by not doing it as hard, since I knew I would have a lot of other stuff to do, but it doesn't look as good.

I think I even need to build up to this form again because since I had kids I had even started performing the forms below it more, Fu Hok Chuet san (Tiger Crane coming out of mountain) and Joy jong (chasing fist.)

I had been focusing more on basics in recent months and now I need to start focusing on forms again. Mostly in the mornings I have been doing Sup Ji and stick form with Noah. And then when i get the chance I think I need to build up power with Chuet san and Joi jong until a certain time, going through the form in the video until I again, start doing this form as a training exercise.

It got me thinking about the potential of teaching outside again, especially since Noah has been consistently practicing with me in the mornings. It started at 6am but the past few days we have slacked off started at 7am, but that's still pretty good.

But just because he will go with me in the morning doesn't mean he wants to be greeted with a crowd. But someday, maybe once a week I could have a class. I think I would charge by season.

Winter (December, January, February) is a time to teach Lion Dance and drumming.  Then do some sort of parade for Chinese New Year, is not the Parade in Chinatown.

Spring (March, April, May) Kuen. I.e. a hand form, or basics or basics and drills. Whatever.

Summer (June July August) Staff. Long Stick, Gwun. Basics, Drills a stick form.


Fall (September, October, November) Sword, or short stick or noodle.


I could rotate the forms I teach but not the drills, maybe even rotate the Lion Dance focus. Parading vs. trick performance, maybe even one year do a dragon or whatever if there enough people. You would pay by season and it would be a sign up type thing. And then if people wanted to learn private lessons they could. Just thinking it through now. I won't be able to do this until Noah is older. In fact, he will probably teach the class, and maybe Jonah too if he ever gets into Kung Fu.

No comments:

Post a Comment