Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Legend of Korra

Ten years ago, or however long it was, I thought that Avatar the last airbender was cute but somehow beneath me. Even when I started watching it more recently, I couldn't get into it as much. But this series, set in a 1920's-esque world, the  city looking like San Francisco, has got me hook. I watched the first season yesterday. Luckily Noah can watch with me and since we have been doing Kung Fu and this looks way mor like Kung Fu even than light sabers, let's just say it's another way to get Noah interested, especially in the meditation part.

Not only that, but I feel like it touches me personally. Even with air bending (which is much more powerful than real Kung Fu) the benders are able to be defeated by technology and industry and even regular Chi-blocking Kung Fu. Ultimately they win by regaining popular support, which ends up being the most powerful thing in the series, and real life.

Korra takes up Pro- bending, a sport and through it is able to learn traditional air bending concepts, or Bak Gwa moves, The funny thing is Noah and I do Light saber fighting and he gets to throw acorns at me. I tried dodging, but he always gets me in the thighs. So then I did those same Bak Gwa moves and he couldn't hit me anymore. I started laughing. Noah asked why.

"Because I just learned Kung Fu from a cartoon."

No comments:

Post a Comment