Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, August 17, 2015

Problematic movies for children

The children and I went to see a movie at the library. It had famous actors like Dean Kane and Rob Lowe and the bad guy from Karate Kid. It made references to that movie, even though it was a movie about dogs. James Hong, who voiced Mr. Ping played the Chinese Master. But there were some moments when Noah was like, "Is that how Chinese people dance, or talk? Why do they sound so funny." So basically despite hours of the Wong Fei Hung series (with Ekin Cheng) and other Kung Fu movies, in one scene the damage is already done.
It made me feel like I had to have a long discussion at home. It was weird too because most of the audince and even the librarian was Chinese. It also bothered me that Noah probably didn't even understand the Cantonese that James Hong was spouting. And nobody laughed when he sang his love song because of it's cheesiness.

And nobody got the Indiana Jones and Karate Kid references.

But you know what I really realized?

There are some movies from my childhood that I have to show Noah. Indiana Jones, Karate kids. I have avoided them because they are problematic. Karate Kid not so much for racial reasons, but damn I'm tired of people referring to my martial art as Karate. But Why is that?

I mean I was happy when the New Karate kid came out and I was annoyed with Ralph Machio for not being for it. I mean Jackie Chan not good enough for you as a Master? He is the real deal. But ultimately, the classic is still a better movie and the Chinese Version nothing but a summer fad/Beijing propaganda. I do Kung Fu and I hate Ralph Machio and I love Jackie Chan, but even I have to admit that the original is just better.


Pat Morita is of course the man. He also speaks perfect English and doesn't know Japanese.

 1980's American propaganda that might be bad for you somehow but just tastes too good. Like McDonald's.

Indiana Jones, is sort of racist at times but their just so fun.

I have had black students who are an older generation who had a lot of bad things to say about Rocky. The whole concept of a white Champion that was a blockbuster when the white Champion Boxer is a complete fiction. But still it's a good movie.


Star Wars movies. Ironically the newer ones are the only racist ones. But the Disney Star wars rebels is awesome. If only there was an equivalent for the other things I listed.

Well ultimately all these movies are so wholesome though. Does that make them more dangerous? Well you know what, we already watched a bad movie with problems, we might as well watch the good ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment