Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, February 23, 2014

A change in per$pective

This morning around 1 am it suddenly became very important to me that people pay me for my Kung Fu lessons. Maybe it was because yesterday it was just me and the kids that went to our class. And I guess I realized, I don't mind if it is just us that go to these classes. Now of course it is important to me for kids who don't have money to be able to do Kung Fu, but it is also important that they pay something. So that is why I'm going to make the class "Pay what you can." instead of "Free" I also realize that pretty it is spring and a lot of people disappeared over the winter so it is a good time to start over. So here are some things I have thought about.
A $50.00 one time "Hong Bao" fee.
Instead of calling it a registration fee, I want to call it a Hung Bao or red envelope fee. I.e. It is something given to me as a Sifu not as an administrator. It is a token Tribute or Gift really. And it isn't payment for the class. It is to be part of the Group or School as in School of Thought type of school not as in a building or a place. With that $50.00 you get a free T-shirt and a free foam practice sword. The t-shirt is a uniform and the sword will be a major part of the class from now on. In fact the first Form I will start teaching will be a two man stick form. plus sparring and even push hands (well push/sticky sword) drills will also be done with the foam stick. It just makes things safer and more fun.

There will also be an oath involved though I will call it a pledge. And that might be something we renew every Spring. It will be simple and child friendly. Nothing difficult or negative.
"I strive to use my Kung Fu and all my actions and words for Good. To enhance myself and others in health, strength and safety and good clean fun." Something like that. Protecting the weak and those kind of phrases are difficult loaded and complicated, like U.S. foreign policy. There is good and bad about protecting the weak. Weak doesn't mean good. Strong doesn't mean bad.


I will also of course charge for classes now on a pay what you can basis. I was thinking $300.00  in the Spring. and $300.00 dollars in the Fall or winter. Again these are pay what you can. But still even that number is cheap.

The classes will be 45-minutes to 1 hour and a half long. I haven't decided yet. They will involve more obstacle courses and things like that even when the kids get older. Basically I want my kids to be doing real practices in the park with kids and adults that are Real about their Kung Fu. Not to say that my group is exclusive now. I will just start emphasizing that as a Sifu it is important to me that people wear the uniforms and bring their foam swords, that they pay me something as a token of respect, and that we move towards being a real team that can perform at events. At least the Wake up the Earth Parade and such. And that the group produces enough money, that I can buy real equipment, or the group helps to make real equipment. More important that there is a stronger Group or Team mentality.

I might also want to start teaching in Chinatown too. But I have to work out with my own parent school what form that will take.

No comments:

Post a Comment