Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Wake Up the earth

Yesterday we went to the wake up the earth fest. I considered bringing at least the small lion head down there but the truth is it was better that we didn't We have been in a lot of parades, and I have decided that watching one can be more fun, when you have small children. For some reason the festival follows the Chinese Calendar for themes. I.e. this year was the year of the snake. (hardly anyone in the parade is asian so I guess it's just because) One thing that Noah loved so much but was so simple was this station with a bunch of drums made out of various forms of pots tubs pans, spring water bottles (the big kind) and people just came over and played whatever they wanted.
When I taught at the Mission Park RTH summer camp the Chinese Drum was one of the more popular parts of my class. I realize that most people know how to drum, in one form or another. And even those that have no sense of rhythm or time enjoy banging on a drum nonetheless. The Lion/Dragon dance team that I have been envisioning will definitely work better in JP if I just let go a lot of the rules and practices for the way I was trained. For instance, I've been thinking about raising money for a drum. But if people just made there own drums, out of recycling, and a ton of them, that would create quite a loud noise. And most likely, if they were allowed to play whatever you would get some sort of rhythm some sort of song, even if it was not the original lion dance beat.
Last year Spontaneous Celebrations even made a sort of Dragon. Well I already have a sort of lion head and I have those home made little dragon heads. It takes a lot of practice to get people to be able to perform a traditional lion dance or a traditional dragon dance. But to just do something, takes practically know practice at all. Kids can figure out on their own how to do something.

Well we ate some food, the kids played in the playground while various bands played their music, and it wa awesomeness. I can't think of another time when you would be allowed to play in a playground while listening to a band. We stayed for longer then I felt like we stayed and were worn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment