Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, May 20, 2013

Jonah's Birthday Party

We had Jonah's birthday party this weekend, with Wayne Potash coming to sing. The part was partially Jonah' birthday and partially Grace's graduation party, so we had Grace's friends and their kids and then we tried to have Jonah's friends. I thought it would be kind of messed up if we had all Noah's friends come. But who is Jonah's friends? We had some kids from his playgroup, and some kids that he knew from the playground. (sort of Noah's friends but also Jonah's friends.) They liked the singing and games that Wayne Potash provided. Jonah was more into it than you would think. I'm not sure he really understood the whole gifts thing. Noah understood that they sort of weren't his gifts, which pissed him off, even though technically he was the one playing with them. And the older kids, Grace's friends kids, were sometimes cool but totally dominated the whole gift opening thing. Well there was a lot of Jonah crying (Happy Birthday!) and Noah really blew out the candles, but I think Jonah did have fun too.
I was also thinking.. Wayne Potash makes a killing. Well not a killing but a living for sure. Wouldn't it be great if I could do some sort of Kung Fu lion dance thing for Birthdays? I think I could.
The thing about the real lion dance though, is that the money is not enough because you need a minimum of 5 people to do a traditional lion dance performance.
And I guess I had been focusing all my energy into things like classes, where you get the kids to progress. But apparently birthdays and other performances like that are where it's at. Especially if you could pull it off by yourself. Grace said I should just use my family. I think it would be better though if Noah and Jonah could come and help out, or just watch, or just hang out, but not be an essential part of the performance in case they needed or felt like doing something else that day.
Maybe if I pooled all my talents, like playing chinese music, lion dance, drumming, kung fu and maybe some calligraphy writing or something, drawing some animals or bamboo, I could sell myself as a sort of Chinese Cultural theme all in one. But the main thing is to be able to get all the kids to pay attention for at least 45 minutes, so they can be entertained and the parents get a rest. I guess the bonus is they are absorbing cultures and skills too. I guess I just have to write down the material I already have and organize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment