Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, May 31, 2013

Dragon's Class

Today when I walked into Dragon's class I was greeted with, "Hello Mr. Adam. Hi Mr. Adam....' Over and over. I think the kids got a little lecture from their behavior last week. That didn't stop me from doing one of my own though.
"We are going to learn the Kung Fu rules. Kwai gui." and then the rest was in Cantonese. If you see Sifu bow. If you want to call me a name, it is Sifu, Adam Sifu, or Sifu Adam. And make sure you bow when you do so. Now I have told you the rules, so you know them. If you broke the rules before.. you didn't know them. But now you do know the rules. So breaking them is a different matter. One of the teachers helpers followed up again in Cantonese after I translated into English.
Then we started out with Basics, instead of wheels on the bus. Counting in Cantonese, then Mandarin, then Taishanese. No English. They all speak English already. When they get to this class, they are already completely Americans in the way they think and speak. 10 basics each, then a new section of a form or what I like to call a kiddie form. Lion Dance, individual Kung Fu, and then we ended with Wheels on the bus and slow Kung Fu.
A lot more girls volunteered and the teacher's helper commented, "The more they do it the better they get." It's true. It seemed like they actually understood what they were doing now.
At the end of class it was goodbye Sifu Adam, and praise was given by the teacher for giving polite goodbyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment