Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Symbol

 I've been working and reworking the symbol that I will put on a T-shirt. And this weekend I scrapped what I had and have decided on a picture of Noah and Jonah riding on a flying crane. The picture looks more like the cover of a children's book than a symbol of badassery (like the other ones were attempting to be. I still have another symbol of a crane in a fighting stance. All these pictures are done in black ink with Chinese brushes. The funny think is the pictures I made were the practice pictures, the test ones to make before I made the real one. But after I drew the first one, I had trouble recreating it, even through tracing. Either because the ink had gotten to watery or my concentration was lost, I just wasn't able to make a picture as good as the first one, on my scrap piece of paper. A distant cousin/friend of mine majored in Graphic Design and she's going to help me get the image on a computer as a high quality file that I can actually use to send to one of these T-shirt making companies to work with. My Si Hing from Chicago also happens to know someone who has one of those same such T-shirt making companies so after I get this image I'll probably see if i can use that company.
I'm pretty excited about my new symbol. I just feel like it matches what I am doing more. The hand positions of Noah and Jonah are meditation poses and they have cute anime like happy faces. It's just closer to what my classes are about. But even when I start to teach older students I think my classes will still be about this return to youthful thinking and happiness. That crane represents much more about my growing outlook and style of teaching as well as practicing of Kung Fu. The other symbol is good too though. Like a crane sentinel. The adult side of the practice. To protect the children if necessary. Plus I like that it is a few simple strokes with a brush. In fact, it is even more simple that the actual character for crane in Chinese. (That's pretty easy though because the crane character is pretty complicated. Though it comes close I think in number of strokes, to the character for bird.)
Today's class was pretty cool. I've been trying to do something a little different each week, while having somethings that we do every week. That hill has ended up being great. I started doing charging up the hill using different stances, and it is quite a work out. Not really too hard for kids, because in the end the kids will just run up and laugh or collapse laughing. The mothers were getting a work out though and so did I. The hill is a great training tool, as well as a sort of barrier. Sort of. The kids all keep going up it. But it is also good for my Kung Fu that I have to then sprint up a hill to get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment