Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Kung Fu Progress

Today it was just two families, including me at the playgroup. But actually this is easier to handle. I ran through a different segment of sup ji with them. Jonah didn't really follow along that much. I guess nothing had been able to surpass the Kung Fu wheels on the bus so far. I guess I have to somehow turn the itsy bitsy spider into Kung Fu moves.
Oh BTW, lat Friday, the kids in the Dragons class decided to call me Michael. Michael is another white guy who floats between classrooms as a helper. The week before they had done the same but I could tell this week that instead of making an honest mistake, they were just teasing me by purposefully calling me the name of another White Guy. I considered teasing them back but decided it might scar them. Then after class they kept going with it and to tell the truth it started to piss me off. Mainly because they are too young to throttle or yell at. But also because of the situation in general. I was always the smaller white kid in a predominantly Chinese class, or Chinese group, or neighborhoos, or Hispanic and Black Class, or Hispanic and Black group or neighborhood. Until I went to camp one year and found myself in a predominantly white group. And realized that even though I pretty much looked white, somehow I was culturally different. Even my white side of the family is culturally different than Summer Camp white or Prep school white. I think the main difference is predominant groups act like THE GROUP or THE MAN or THE MAJORITY and starts doing things that individuals in that group wouldn't normally do.
My point is, I was minority white for most of my life child sized life and didn't discover the power of my whiteness until I went to Hong Kong. But actually most white people do not know the power of whiteness and being only half white, I do. Usually I tend to side with the under dog. I'm teaching kids in Chinatown Kung FU not just for cultural reasons. It's for confidence and racial reasons too. I make sure the kids do their own little performance by themselves and teach them to speak up ad raise their hands first and fight for what they want. Because culturally they are taught the opposite and I have found that Americans don't value meekness or humility at all. Especially false modesty and all the things Chinese kids are either taught to do, or just pick up culturally.
So to then have these kids start teasing me, when I already went through all that from their age, up through Chinese school and again when I switched from Weekday Kwong Kow to Sunday Kwong Kow, is both annoying and funny. Because one day all of those kids are going to be the minority either in a classroom or a workplace or on the street. And when why should I feel sorry for them when they are abused when they are abusing the guy who is coming in to teach Kung Fu to them for free?
I considered stopping the class. Why should I give them the moves an confidence to protect themselves? Maybe I should just allow them to be stepped on as punishment but allowing them to continue with the fake Kung Fu they already learned elsewhere. Shoot, Noah and Jonah haven't really been participating that much. Well see how I feel on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment