Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Playing with sticks.

Class was almost as big as a real class today. In fact it was bigger than my mission park class. Three Mothers who I knew were coming and their children, plus another mother who happened to be just passing by with her daughter. The main problem today was it the heat. And it was difficult to stay in the shade, or even to stay together because everyone wanted to run up and down the hill. Which is why we mostly did Kung Fu moves up and down the hill sprints. Once with hands, the second time with dragons. At the end the four year old boy (I have known everyone in the class, who planned to show up for a while) hit me playfully with a stick. I thought, "Oh know now it's over. No more Kung Fu will be allowed." I don't think his mother is of that mindset though but I'm just paranoid after  the Stars class experience. But of course it is my responsibility even as 15 minute Sifu to explain he can't hit people, even me, with sticks, because he could hurt someone. The truth is he wasn't trying to hurt me, it's just that the stick was not cardboard but wood. And the way he swung it, was gentle on purpose, and hit my backpack or the side of the leg softly, on purpose. It's just how it looks. I'm sure in his mind he is trying to play, and since I know Kung Fu I am perfect to play with. Also I forgot to do the whole cardboard stick fighting thing I had planned to do, and I often do stick stuff with Noah and Jonah, with wooden sticks. But those are my kids so that's okay.
I guess I have to do the explanation of when it's okay to do stick fighting and when it's not. I.e. with cardboard sticks after we bow to each other and still going slow and being careful. They will all be on one team and I will be the bad guy. No stick fighting each other. I know children have grown up for millenia stick fighting each other. But just not in my class. Card board, slow motion, and only hitting me, is how it will be. Then bow again to indicate it is over and now no longer socially appropriate to hit me. They still might get hurt. Like Jonah could get hit in the eye, or someone could get overzealous and hit his own team mate with a back swing. Which is why I haven't been doing it. I did it when there was just Jonah and the first boy. But now that there's more kids that would be more difficult. And would require more explanation. The best is just using those foam sticks which you can't possibly hurt anyone with.

No comments:

Post a Comment