Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

To stroller or not to stroller

Jonah's breakfast activity today was dumping his blueberries onto the table and then counting them one by one as he put them back into his bowl. He doesn't often get to do this, undisturbed. The difference today was Noah went to school early, with Mommy. Sometimes the two boys wit together for breakfast quite nicely. But then this can quickly turn to some sort of hitting, or pilfering of the younger child's food supply to protests of "Share! Share!" Noah is all about sharing when he has finished his half and there is only Jonah's left. Then he insists that they should share. Of course Jonah will then start crying as slumping himself on the floor. Well... it's not always like that. And it certainly wasn't like that today. Later on, Jonah snuck into one of our visitor's room. She is a Taiwanese friend of Grace's. I heard Jonah learning how to say nose, eyes, ears, etc. in Mandarin. I was wondering how he picked those up so fast. I thought it was do to my reading him this book, a gift from another one of Grace's Taiwanese friends, "My first Hundred Words in Chinese" I guess. Jonah is always touching my nose and saying, Bi zi, and then Bei gau and then laughing. The Cantonese he must have learned from me. It's good to have these things reinforced by several people. Maybe he will actually end up speaking Chinese.
Well then I decided we should have a leisurely walk in the woods. No stroller. In fact, yesterday Jonah refused to sit in the stroller and I ended up picking up Noah without one. I'm not going to pretend that was easy though.
Then Grace calls and told me about a Mayor's coffee hour at the tot lot. I didn't really want to go. But then I did. Carrying Jonah without the stroller. There were free fruit cups and we got a plant. Something for Jonah and Grace respectively. But other than that, it was a normal day at the tot lot. Then rain started and I carried Jonah home while jogging. The because of the weight of Jonah (not that heavy but it makes a difference) I sank down and did more of a horse stance thing walking thing. We had to stop often because Jonah wanted to run. I guess if my kids ran at the same speed as each other, or stayed together, or could be completely trusted not to go into the street, or to stop at driveways, the stroller would be unnecessary now. But, because they are not any of those things, the stroller makes things simpler emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment