Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Kung Fu and Writing

I've come to view my writing through a Kung Fu perspective. That is, I often will write a blog post, and I know it isn't that well thought out. It isn't beautifully inspired. But I have to make sure I do at least one, or maybe even several a day. The goal isn't that particular blog post. But to skip a day and then another day. That's getting lazy. So what I am saying is I have started to view my writing like basics and forms. I try to do it every day.

As I do this I realize I have become extremely lazy with my video making. Making videos for me is that advanced form of Kung Fu like Mein Lei Jum. In a way, it's easier, but in a way it's more difficult. Plus it takes a ton of patience to just wait for things to load.. I can't stand that stuff.

But even my writing can sometimes slip.

I decide I don;t have the right story or I avoid certain topics. I am afraid to write about certain things.

I have to force my self to just push it out, knowing that, "M hai yut ha duk ah." I'm not going to get the perfect post out there in one turn.

As Neil Gaiman said, "Imagine that you have a million words in you that is absolute rubbish and that you have to write all that before you can write anything good."

So I have been taking that approach. If I had taken that approach from the beginning of my writing career, which I would count as having started in middle school, and continued, maybe I would be a freaking master by now. But unfortunately there was a time in the middle where I was only writing for school and not for myself. I guess I was still writing, but it wasn't the same. It wasn't disciplined.

But if I continue to write for the next ten years... I should be pretty good. I think I have noticed improvements within the last year or so just from blogging all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment