Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Milk Carton Boat

Noah had been bothering me about making a toy boat. So I finally helped him stick a take out chopstick through a milk carton and a black construction paper triangle for a sail. The thing is, he brought it to school yesterday, and on the way home he sailed it through the snow. He sailed it around the house and had it battle enemies. He took it to bed last night and wanted to bring it to school again. I didn't care yesterday because I figure if he lost it, it's trash anyway. In fact the only reason why we were able to bring it home was because I had to go back inside to get his snow pants.
But somehow, this milk carton which still really really looks like a milk carton, has become something special. His favorite toy. It made me wonder why we buy toys at all.

He tried to have me put the carton away and have him earn it like the other prizes in the closet waiting for him to get in return for points. He valued the milk carton at 40 points. I think the star wars comic book Jedi Academy, and also the Darth Vader and son were 25 points and 40 points respectively. In other words, he values this milk carton, which was going in the recycling at a very high amount of points.

Well we kept it home today and will continue to work on it. It has a little border and we will add people to it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment