Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Family Yoga Class

Noah and I went to a Family Yoga class at the library. It was fun to be a student with Noah. I liked how we didn't actually do too much. What I mean by that is it helped me realize you don't have to put too much stuff into a class even though it is an hour long.

The classes I taught yesterday at the after school program were much more enjoyable for the kids (even the "bad" ones) because of this same strategy. We did one game and then broke into groups, sword fighting and lion dance. They learned like one move in lion dance and that was it.

Actually the younger kids got through more stiff even though their class was only 30 minutes and the older kids had an hour.

Anyway, back to the Yoga class. It's good that Noah and I can do this and follow a teacher that is someone else. It is nice not to be the leader and let me think about my own stuff instead of worrying about the pace of the class etc. It's also nice to be doing something where I don't care if Noah is "doing it right."

It was also good to be around a group of people who wanted to do a class, and wanted to follow the teacher and be together and to Yoga.

I have been using Yoga stretches drawn from various Kung Fu forms and using them as a break in between basics, and I realized how differently I would do a Yoga pose than other people.

I really noticed it Yesterday when I saw Jonah doing poses. His Yoga poses have GUNG. Even though he likes Yoga I knew he would not be ready for someone else's class. So I didn't bring him today.

But then when I saw how the teacher did the poses it reinforced how different I (or even Jonah) does a pose. Our poses look a lot more like Kung Fu. Even though the pose is a Yoga pose.

I also noticed how differently my version of the Sun Sequence (sun salutation) really is, even if it is the same thing. Because of putting it in the context of Tian Gong Kuen. But of course out of respect for the teacher I did it her way. I just have more confidence in the routine that I have been doing with Noah. (basics with Sun and Moon Sequence in between for breathing and rest)  I am confident that this sequence is not only fun and good for us, but can stand on it's own as a Yogic Kung Fu regimen that is it's own thing. Before I thought it would look like not Kung Fu and Not Yoga. But actually its is a Tibetan White Crane Martial Kung Fu Yoga of it's own.


No comments:

Post a Comment