Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Storyland trip

Yesterday we went to Story land despite the rain. I actually prefer it with the rain because there was nobody there. Me and Grace could just feel the emptiness, the feeling of having the whole park to ourselves and in fact we were more excited than the kids at that point because I don't think they realized the significance of no rides.
I actually didn't realize the side effects. It turns out waiting in line gives my mind a brake from the mild rides. And mild ride after mild ride actually started to make me sick. Maybe the rain was also a cause of that. This year it seemed like Noah did not wnat to do a lot of the "scary rides." and Jonah wanted to do them all, including the Roar a saurus, which is still too little for. I actually went on that alone. It is comforting to hear that there are other adults who also find some of these children's rides intense for them. I thought I was the only carsick pathetic one. I never liked rides as a kid. I did the roller coasters for end of the year trips and I have come to appreciate them. But even these small children's rides are quite enough for me.

Well we did pretty much everything yesterday so when we returned for a sunny day today we sort of took it easy. Except Jonah was upset by the Swan rides (because they weren't fast enough.) and we also made the mistake of doing Tea Time with Cinderella. The boys enjoyed meeting Cinderella in her Castle. But this year when we actually paid extra money to have tea with her they were like, "What the hell is this?" Jonah just tore into his cookie (and then tried to be sort of proper about it. Noah did do a little pretend tea pouring (like he learned from Daniel Tiger on PBS kids.org) But they really weren't into it. Anyone would say ,"duh their boys." but they really do like their princesses. Frankly I think the whole concept of pretending to have a tea party is stupid for anyone with Chinese background. Because why pretend to do a tea party when you can actually just do real life Dim Sum, and the ettiquette is just cooler and showier and manlier and there is dan tats on top of all that.

Anyway, the children were pretty behaved for Storyland and even when we took a break from it and then went back. But they have been pretty naughty ever since. Maybe cause they know there is nothing else to look forward too for them. To the point where we have already threatened not to come back.

Well I think by next year we may have forgotten their behavior. Plus part of it had to do with trying to actually eat at a restaurant. And maybe we haven't been eating enough vegetables and that's effecting their behavior. Plus sleeping in a hotel was difficult for them. Heck I woke up from a nightmare at 4:30 in the morning and couldn't go back to sleep.

I'm just upset their ruining the Story land vibe.
The first few seconds of the tree song is the closest thing I could find to the full blown background music that is piped in to that section of the park. That's the music that really gets me in my magical state of mind. I wish I could find that full loop that they play and just play it at home and maybe make paper mache mushrroms and have the kids walk through it. Well maybe I enjoy Storyland more than the kids.... no they like it and I've had enough. But I definitely love the idea of it more than they do I think. Which is why I am still in afterglow while they are just revolting and rebelling and then suddenly being cute two seconds later.
Let's see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment