Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Another Science Museum adventure

Today we traveled forth to the Science Museum. I make it sound like a journey to the ends of the earth because it sometimes seems like that with two small children. But in a fun sort of way, once you get onto the train... sort of.
Jonah was a lot more independent today, which was scary. Sometimes I would look down to read something to Noah and look up and he would be gone. Off on his own, not a care in the world, and then suddenly he would be crying and looking for me. Only he was never looking for me in the place where I had been, right next to him.

I think mainly the problem was it was a lot more crowded today than in the past. Actually I think last time we only went in the afternoon, and I did notice by afternoon time the Museum was less crowded. There were less school groups travelling through. But still a good amount of people.

We listened to two lectures, got to touch real lungs in passing, and even attempted to do the lightning show. Jonah was all psyched for it. But even before anything started Noah started freaking out and shaking and virtually screaming that he wanted to get out of there. We were even sitting in an area where we were behind extra glass. What the hell? Why is he so scared?  Well I guess it's better that he knew he was scared and we got out before the show started. But when he was younger we watched some real lightning storms, and fireworks, etc. And even though he clung to me, he still seemed to enjoy it. Maybe it was because he didn't yet know what it was. Now that he knows what it is, he is scared of it. Maybe Jonah will be scared of such things too in a year.

We ate lunch there and stayed into afternoon. I had planned originally to only stay for about 2 hours, but they like it so much I figure just make a day of it. There's so much new stuff to see.

There was one part that was describing all these inventors and Engineers.
On a side note, one thing feminists really suck at is promoting female scientists. Like marketing them and pushing the fact that they exist out there. Like the inventor of Kevlar was a woman. She got a job to pay for medical school, I think at DuPont, and then liked it so much she just decided to invent new materials instead. Genius. Also I didn't know Kevlar was tougher than steel.

Also the inventor and founder of iRobot (maybe you've seen the commercials and  wondered why the hell they named their product after the movie where robots revolt... but then those same robots save us too.) Well she's a woman too. I'm not so much surprised. I just feel like whenever these new things come out that it's THEM or THE MAN creating such things. While corporations and politicians are funding the stuff. But it is real people, creative individuals, who are behind these things.

The guys were real interesting too. Creating machines that create drinking water, and wheel chairs that will climb stairs etc etc. It just goes to show there is still a lot of American ingenuity out there. And the weirdest part to me was a lot of these people did not particularly like school. And their parents just encouraged them anyway. I mean obviously higher education mattered. But as far as grade school and that sort of thing.. didn;t seem to matter much.

That got me thinking, Instead of going to this expensive camp or this and that, it should be cheaper just to become a member of the Science Museum and hang out there often. After all the lectures there were more fun too. I mean when the speaker isn't a professor who might be grading you I feel like you would actually learn more. And if it bores you wou just walk off and play with blocks or sheep's lungs. Usually you go to a Museum like once a year. Or maybe just once. But what if you went like everyday. What if school was more like that. Just go here go there. No "classes" Sounds a lot more like the "schools" that the ancients founded. Those Greek guys we read about in school didn't quite have a schedule and periods and lunch. And Isaac Newton certainly wasn't much like that.

Oh yeah. Another cool thing was on the way to the train, in the morning. We saw all of these snails on the rock walls that are the foundations to the houses. Not like one or two. But like ten or twenty. If we weren't going anywhere I guess we could have just stared at that for an hour or two as a scientific exercise.

Anyway, after the museum we did our Haymarket Pizza as a snack, watched some Futbol in Spanish, and then went to the North End sprinklers for a bit. More touristy, less comfy, highly chlorinated. My underwear clad children looked a bit out of place. Plus there was no shade. So off it was to Stony Brook and more Sprinklers. Jonah did not fall asleep until we started walking home. I could hear his sleep breathing in my ear as he slumped over on my shoulders and Noah walked extremely slowly. But we made it back. Grace did BBQ dinner to celebrate because we got into the Public School closest to us. YAyyy!

And that was our Science Museum adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment