Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Rosalita's Puppets

Roday Rosalita's Puppet show was at the Connolly branch library. Except all I had written on my calendar was 10:30 LIB. so I took that to mean something was going on at the Copley Branch. I didn't remember what it was that was supposed to be at 10:30 and at the Connolly Branch until wandering around the Copley one for a bit. Luckily we were able to get back in time for the show anyway and Noah was up for the trip on the train. (Jonah had actually fallen asleep on the bus ride in. Why didn't I just check? I had to get out of the house before these children murdered each other. Okay actually they sort of just to Kung Fu moves on each other or "at" each other like an 80's Kung Fu movie or 70's, and there is crying from Dai Dai which has less to do with physical pain than emotional.

Anyway the trip back was worth it even though we have seen Rosalita's Puppets many times.

As an adult you might not like this puppet show. It is random, cheesy, and crazy silly. But kids love it. You might even think, "Inner city kids aren't going to go for that." Rosalita is a British woman dressed up in an old maybe 18th century (I have no idea) mother Goose outfit. And in between stories she bounces around really hyped up doing silly dance moves or suddenly commenting on her show or clothing. Her puppets are homemade, or stuffed animals, and do not look particularly pretty. But the kids are always glued to the show for the whole 45 minutes.

As a Kung Fu teacher of children, I am extremely jealous.

I guess all those things that make it seem random or silly actually make the show better to a child, because if the plot was trying to follow a more formal route they might  get bored. That's why when we read stories the kids always ask so many questions. Never does anyone ever have to say "Okay it's time to be quite now." Their spellbound the whole time.

I mean at another performance in the park some older kids who might have been in second grade, just sitting there quietly, unaccompanied by adults, which means they didn't have to be there. No eye rolling or anything. When I was in second grade I remember Kris Kross came out and everyone thought they were really old and tough. I'm sure that's still true. It's just that these kids will still like Rosalita's Puppet show.

Having seen the show several times, I believe there is a system to the madness. Like, "I can sense they might lose me in a minute or two so I'm going to start  dong this clappy dance."

We considered hiring her for a birthday party but we would need a certain amount of kids to show up for it to be worth it. Plus we can just go to her public shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment