Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, June 20, 2014

Day two of beginners class

I did the same little routine today, which is mostly get the kids over to that comfortable playground as soon as possible and ignore them. Okay it didn't work like that because after my meditation and stretching they wanted to ride/run around the track. (I only brought one tricycle. It was much more manageable. But they were doing this thing where Noah was trying to run Jonah over and Jonah was legitimately scared. But at the same time Jonah kept trying to catch up to the tricycle T2000 style and I don't know. I  don't know what exactly he was trying to do but it was stopping Noah from going faster. No it was stopping him from "going by himself" that was it. Jonah was trying to push the tricycle too. Whatever.

At some point Noah hit Jonah with my hat, which sounds like it doesn't hurt, but there is a wooden bead on the end and that part it Jonah. Well there was screaming and disciplining and separation at which point suddenly Jonah felt really sorry for Noah (I don't know why. I do know why, it's because he's like me.)

Anyway at some point I started my walking basics. Where as you can do stretches and sit ups with a 3 year old on top you (Noah was very independent doing his own thing) it is more difficult to do strikes. And in the past I would take care of my kid. But we are at the playground and there is no need for Jonah to be this clingy right there. So I was firm about, not so much ignoring him, I still talked to him even though it was hard to keep count, but I was firm about doing my thing. And of course because there are rests where you bow and then walk around, those were the times I would pick Jonah up. And I didn't make Jonah do what I was doing. Sometimes he wanted me to do this move or that move though and I said, "you can do that." And he could go play in the sandbox too. But I was firm about the fact that I was finishing this routine. And we could talk and I could pick him up on the rests but then I put him back down and did another set. He wanted to do Ssing swing SWING! but I explained that during my break after standing basics, we would do swing. And we did. And after it was done, I did walking basics.

I had been basing everything around them. But they are old enough now and I'm done with that. Granted we are still at this playground, but stuff was going to be based around me now. Or at least that's the theory. And they still have a lot of opportunity to do fun stuff. But Baba is doing his basics, slowly.


The best thing I noticed that even though my walking basics felt like I was just walking through it, (and I reminded myself that that is what I was trying to do. i.e. don't get all strong and fierce with the basics. Think of them more as stretches rather than combat moves.) That when I actually got to my forms, I had all this energy. It makes a difference, to be thoroughly warmed up.

And of course I only did one form at a time instead of all together. But I did do those hard and fast like a performance. I felt all this chi and power. And that section was easier because the forms are quick. And then I would lounge and chat in the shade with friends. Yes a bunch of parents I knew showed up today. One mom will be moving away soon. I commented on how it is so hard to move like that. When you are a parent your friends are really based around the kids.

I thought, but didn't say, that I guess that that sort of Sex in the City type group of friends is pretty valuable. As much as I have come to hate that show and movies. Before I had kids I actually watched and enjoyed it. Except Miranda. I was always annoyed by her.


Well my kids are requesting a Kung fu class in the house now so I better go do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment