Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pretend Dragon boat

Today at little Panda, before my Kung fu class started they were showing videos about Dragon boats.
I thought about whether or not I could add this song to the class. (One of Jonah's favorites)


 About pinwheels and dragon boats. I couldn't see how I was going to do that with Kung Fu, so I just pretended to row dragon boat to Bruce Lee's "Mang Long Gau Gong" Theme song. The really little kids were not into it. So the teachers witched to row row your boat in Chinese. And that sort of worked. And then I moved on to other material.

With the older kids, they did yell out "Hau!" when prompted to the Mang Long Gau Gong song.

But then a teacher pulled out a pretend Dragon Boat after the song was over. There was a look followed by a nod by me, and after I finished with the lion dance portion, we did Dragon boat. But how? The boat only fit two kids, Four if you crammed them in. And should I do Row row your boat, or the Bruce Lee song? The kids asked for row row your boat. But I was feeling the lameness of that. So we did the Dragon boat drumming instead. Which I actually am not too familiar with and had to ask the advice of the teachers. It sounded similar to Dragon dance, but I just went with it. 

After all that we played in the play ground and later paid a visit to the library and somehow managed to drag ourselves home after the kids ate all three peanut butter sandwiches I packed, and the egg and cheese sandwich I bought for myself because they had eaten my sandwich earlier. And I still had to carry Noah while carrying Jonah at some points on our walk back from Stony. Which is BS because according to the data collected yesterday at the Science Museum, Noah has the most efficient walk. Burning the equivalent of only 15 grapes per mile (according to the data). 

But while reflecting to myself during all of this, I realized that Dragon Boat was something that was missing from my life. It is a Chinese Culture thing to do that doesn't involve gambling or shadier aspects of society, would be good for my kids, and would be a good social thing. I don't see how I could start right now at this moment though. Unless they have Dragon Boat for kids. But then my kids should probably learn how to swim first right?

No comments:

Post a Comment