Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Change of location

I think I will move my little "Kung Fu playgroup" on Saturdays to the Kraft Athletic Facility at Harry Downes Field. Well, the playground next to that anyway. Why? Well actually I had wanted to have the class there originally anyway. But with the parents we decided that the children were too distracted by the playground. Having taught the class for a while now, I have found that the children will be distracted anyway. And at least at the playground they will be fenced in, or occupied by the sandbox.

In fact my whole idea was that a child would have no pressure to do Kung Fu, but could walk away and do their own thing at any time. Plus there is nearby parking.

Today I technically did not have group due to a scheduling mix up, so I brought the kids there in the morning... like I have pretty much been doing every morning. Except today I brought swords staffs, bows and arrows. Basically my kids only did a little bit of bow and arrow. And I didn't force a class on them, because I knew they wouldn't do it.

But of course when I was doing Kung Fu they did come over (individually) and try different things. Jonah did some staff, and like I said Noah did bows and arrows.

When other kids show up I think I will do the songs and stuff. But I think even with the child like songs. I am going to have the focus be in the adults. (I have been getting more adults asking me if I would take adults as students.) And then there would be drills, and the kids would learn a lot by watching. Then there would be the lion heads and other toys, and they would learn those by playing. And that would be it for them, pretty much. Then I would teach the adults on an individual level, giving them stuff they want to work on based on what they need. (Health, martial art, self defense, questions, etc.) And of course a bit of group forms, lining up doing simple stuff for solidarity and that sort of thing will be a small part of it.

Probably I will just bring my kids to the playground before 9am (as the class starts at 10 am) and try to get all of my basics and their playing time out of the way. And anyone willing to join me for that, is welcome of course.

But then what about when there is a foot of snow on the ground. Temperature doesn't matter so much because the fenced in area is still just safer. But when there is snow, the Sugar bowls are just more fun. And when the kids are older, old enough that they won't run off after a dandelion... (I think that will probably be next year) Then Pinebank is a more beautiful spot for sure. I will think on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment