Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What's a book worth.

I passed by a whole collection of Agatha Christie's books on the street by Tufts Medical Center, just laying there like garbage. There were other Handy man books and such too and at first it looked like all the books were the same book because they were all bound with black leather like hymn books or something. I actually wanted to read the Agatha Christie Novels, but even at first I was just going to leave them there because I know that if I ever wanted to read such I book I could borrow it from the library, and where I might have taken one book, who wants a whole series? Too heavy, it takes up too much space. And if I were to stereotype, in Chinatown there are probably mainly two types of readers. There are the type of readers that read books on a fancy new electronic device, and the type that would jump at free books on the street, probably do not read English. Maybe there are some Lo wah kew who are both cheap and like to read Agatha Christie, but just at first glance the books don't look inviting. Plus, just like me, they know that if ever you wanted a book, you can just borrow it from the library. But if it were say Louis Cha's collection, in Chinese, leather bound, probably it would not have ended up on the street.

Basically a book is worthless. If I was homeless I suppose I could take the books down the street and sell them for 50 cents each in a manner that would be half begging half selling. Like "Spare change for a book."
and then in that context people may stop and look at the books and decide that it is worth 50 cents, or that it's not worth anything but I'll give this guy a dollar since I am actually getting something out f it too. But then I bet they may just make more money begging alone, without the work of lugging the books up to downtown or Boston Common.
So I was going to take just one, but then as I thought of it, I thought f the waste and how I could at least donate them to the library where they would then sell them for 50 cents (that is after I've read them) And so I felt obligated to take what I could. I walked away with half of them. I'll go back for the second half this afternoon. And if someone else took them, great. I only really took them because I don't think anybody else will, and they will end up turning to mush in the rain and snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment