Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sock hands

Today it's pretty cold. Cold enough that I have to wear gloves. And if I wear gloves, I guess I have to put gloves or mittens on my kids too. Grace has bought lots of great looking gloves and mittens for the kids. They look great, they are well insulated etc. But not only do they get misplaced, they have a tendency to come off. Even the mittens that are too big for Jonah but more for Noah, will come off Jonahs arms, even though you can zip it so tight that it can't fall off by accident, because a child doesn't like to the feeling that their hands have disappeared or become less there hands and more these clumpy things. Now you would thing the same would be true of wearing a sock. Not so. Although you can't see your hand, wearing an adult sock a child can still feel all of their fingers, even against each other, and they understand that their hands are basically just wearing some blankets, or a sleeping bag. As it turns out I had a bunch of socks that had holes in the heel and were no longer functional as socks. So today, my kids had sock hands on the way to school. At school... well their not going to go out today I'm pretty sure, and when they do go out, it's warm enough or for a short enough period of time that he'll be okay. Of course even with sock hands it was pretty cold. I was thinking of doubling them up, but as I'm writing this I realize I have woolen socks that can serve the same puropse. Why not mittens? Because the sock can go all the way up the forearm over the coat. Why not little strappy things to go inside the jacket so they don't loose the mittens?
That's not going to work in the morning. And the beauty of using the worn out socks, is if they get lost, they get lost. No bog deal. That's way different then special mittens.
When they are old enough to put on their own mittens, and to put those mittens in their pocket, and keep track of them and all that. Then we put on the fancy mittens (that will still probably end up lost somewhere on the ground, wet dirty and lonely.)
For now it's sock hands to the rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment