Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Toy Story and Religion

Yesterday there was a Marathon of the toy story movies. I noticed that when we got to 3 the movie was really more for me than the kids. In fact it was a little too scary for them. We had to go upstairs before the ending, which though I had seen before, I really wanted to watch again.
When I was a kid I did have one favorite stuffed Rabbit. But I don't recall playing with said rabbit when I was as old as Andy was in the first movie. Not that I didn't still like cute stuffed animals etc. I just realized it wasn't accepted that I liked them and something so big would not be able to be hidden in a bag or a pocket or something like that. When my mother died I think I threw my favorite rabbit in the garbage. So if I were to really think of the toys as they were in Toy story, as having souls, I would be one guilty man. Accept that I didn't, and I guess I don't. But it got me think of how Toy Story's ideas work vs. other notions of idolatry.

First of all let's explain why we shouldn't just say "it's just a kids movie."
For instance if a cheap plastic Toy made in Taiwan (as Buzz lightyear is) or the U.S. (as I assume Woody is, shouldn't be mourned, if it is incinerated let's think about other things we would get up in arms over if we destroyed them. Various statues like the Lincoln Memorial, the Statue of Liberty, other monuments. We would definitely go to war and take a lot of lives for those things made of metal and stone, if they were destroyed or defaced right? Some people would say these are forms of idolatry (and I am not at all against idolatry btw) but let's look at the Abrahamic religions that are supposedly against idolatry too. They would also get up in arms about a Holy Book, or place being destroyed or defaced, and those books are ultimately just paper, often times printed by machine. But even if it was copied by hand, is it more important than a life?

Do things have souls?

Well the truth is you can't really prove that people even have souls. A soul is something that we culturally attribute to flesh and bone, which might as well be a type or organic robot. (a complicated robot but still)
And so things can have souls as much as people have souls because in the end, a soul may very well be an imaginary thing. (And just because something is imaginary doesn't make it unimportant or even in some way "real")

Well more on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment