Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, December 30, 2013

Minions

 This Christmas my cousin actually hand knitted two minions for Noah and Jonah. At first I didn't even realize they were handmade. But when I did I was pretty psyched about them. Not only could these stuffed plus toys be loved and cherished by being played with, thereby by gaining some power (see my Toy story posts) but they were created by a blood relative, by hand. Also they are the type of toy that can last all through growing up. When Andy (from Toy Story) is packing for College and actually considers bringing Woody, well, it's true. College is no place for that type of toy. It is obviously a child's toy. Other plush toys that can double as pillows are just too.. well girly or childish or what have you. But the thing is, minions (from Despicable Me) are cuddly but also funny enough, enough of a joke, cool enough, that in a way, they could function in a college dorm. Indeed they could even function on an office desk. That's right, if you think about it, many people have toys all through adulthood... especially executives. They are called models or other sorts of things, but they are toys.
When I mentioned this my cousin pointed out that these particular minions were actually made in a college dorm because that's where she knit them.
The kids were really into them. Throwing them around saying "fly the minion!" and cuddling them in the hotel rooms. They even designated whose was whose, and at first I didn't even know there was a difference. Noah did though. They were into those and also these knew cars my Uncle got for them. In fact Noah had to bring that to school. But I just thought it was cool that they now had toys that unlike Buzz Light Year and Woody, were not mass produced. But at the same time, they are characters from a popular movie specific to their childhood. Pretty Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment