Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, December 19, 2013

A lunar Rainbow

Last night while bringing my kids home I saw what I think was a full moon with a rainbow circle around it. I had heard of a lunar rainbow on an anime about wolves once, but I thought it was sort of something just to be seen in an anime. And granted it was a a circle with the rainbow colors not a rainbow. But I think that the circle is even cooler. It would definitely be a sign in olden times. I told my kids to look at it and they seemed unimpressed. I called for Grace to get the camera. She couldn't find it. I brought the kids in undressed them and went looking for the camera. I was sure it didn't really matter. Someone, somewhere was taking a picture of this with a much better Camera and with much better skills than my own. But then might as well try and take my own too right?
By the time I got outside to look, all I saw was a full moon. The very light clouds that created enough mist fro the moonlight to pass through and be refracted into that spectrum were gone. It was odd that for some reason, when I looked at that rainbow circle I saw it as a permanent thing. Nothing is permanent of course but I saw it as a permanent sight for the night. As permanent as the full moon, it seemed that way, the clouds weren't moving.
The sight would not have shown up well on camera, and it's not like it would have been the most beautiful photograph ever. I have seen plenty of photographs of things that I haven't seen in real life. Those photos would have been better photos than mine. So the real beauty of what I had seen was that I had seen it myself. I got a look at it. It was enough not to regret. But it is interesting that I automatically wanted to take a picture, to capture the moment that would not have been captured anyway, instead of just looking at it myself for longer. But then with two kids you can't just go staring off into the sky. One of them might run off into the street or hurt himself on the stairs. I had a moment, a breath, of a beautiful night sky vision. I could have done without the camera hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment