Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Starting over.. slow.

Today we had our Saturday morning class. which actually went remarkably well. The reason why I say this is because my sons and students did a straight up adult class without any hand holding and that sort of thing. We just focused primarily on basics. For my students that have been away from practicing for a while this was a good thing, because many, including Noah, have forgotten much of the forms they knew. This made me feel like I was sort of starting over with them. Like I am going to have to teach Noah all the forms once again. It was aggravating actually.

But the basics were done. Done well? well the point is they were done without complaint, as long as in between sets of 80, they were able to run a lap around the house.

For the first round of forms, Dai Dai actually jumped in and challenged for most favorite son by being able to complete more of his form that he never really learned, than Noah was able to complete of any one form. This had Noah in tears of rage of course.

But eventually he "won" even though it wasn't really a contest, by completing two full forms.

And then when we went over one of the forms, chasing fist, slowly, like Tai Chi, I realized that we should be doing more of that. Going over the forms together, slowly like that. It's probably more important to go over the forms like Tai Chi than to do Mein Lei Jum... which he would have to learn anyway. Whereas reviewing the other forms might be enough to job his memory.

I have a new curriculum of jumping for Lion Dance too because I plan of starting them on that as well... and the brothers like it. Even though it is annoying that I have to start over with the forms.. in a way it is exciting too. It also gives Dai Dai some time to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment