Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Saluting sun and stone tools.

I brought the kids outside today.. not so much to work out. I had been doing that but what with Tenacity and various things I stopped. It was just to get them not to wreck the house. At first Noah built his boat outside and I was doing Yoga on a Yoga mat like a full on hippie.

Actually the reason why I am getting into my sun salutation is again from reading that "Once Upon a time in the future" where the guys, whether it is Arjun or whoever, does the meditating while the sun rises. Now you could say, Why don't I just do Kung Fu meditation?

Maybe it's because the Sun Salutation is simple, or easier or new... but that's what I do. I also know that Yoga doesn't draw as much attention. And I feel more comfortable doing some sort of standing meditation when I am outside.

Anyway I didn't get through it anyway because the children started beating each other. So we ended up going to the park.

And there, instead of practicing, we looked for stones and glass to knap into arrow and spear heads.

We've been watching "The First Peoples" and "Becoming Human" and we've been kind of obsessed with stone age tools made by neanderthals, Homo Erectus, and Homo Sapiens.

We're sort of just playing. But I think these glass bottom "tools" might ending up being something cool to like give to someone as a reward. I mean belts are kind of lame, especially if you didn't make them yourself. Well anyway for now it's just something we do. I haven't figured how to but these sharp stones and glass onto a stick yet. I mean we could watch a DIY video.. and have in fact but it's sort of been a spontaneous thing.


I moved to the side and did some working out. Mostly calisthenics and a bit of basics and free styling.

The boys were sword fighting with sticks... and technically doing better than I was. At least they were sparring with another human being of equal (more or less) skill. Of course to get to the next level, that takes drilling and practice and all the Kung Fu exercises. But everyone always criticizes just drilling it seems. That it's not realistic. But the most realistic is what my boys were doing... just playing like little wolf or lion cubs... except they were using weapons. I just let them do what they did.

Soon it was time for breakfast and we headed back inside. Was this training? We were all somewhat lazy...or perhaps I should say relaxed. But it was something.

No comments:

Post a Comment