Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Kung Fu on a Yoga mat

This is not the first time that I have toyed with shortening the space of the traditional forms I do. That is to say, doing the forms in a smaller space. I did this practicing inside... and also when teaching large classes. I adapted a form so that I always face the class. The reason why I did this instead of basics was because the form was more dynamic and fun. I also simplified some of the jump kicks so you still got the feeling of jumping up into the air and yelling "Hai!" while doing Kung Fu.... but I made it so any kid could do it pretty much on the first try. I mean not well necessarily but they could do it without hurting themselves or kicking their neighbor.

But I rarely brought a "yoga" mat with the intention of staying on it the whole time. The mat is actually a pvc "straw" mat for the beach. Someone was throwing it out. I had played with the idea of the mat as a magic carpet and wanted to create something for I book "Pirate Yoga Fu" which sort of got absorbed into Lions and Dragons and Drums... and then cut.

You would open a portal through magical Kung Fu moves and be able to step through it to other Universes or something like that. I was going to use a stick or sword too.

But today I did this just for myself. I felt like I was headed to the beach because I didn't bother to put on a shirt (I would just have to waist water washing it.)

I Yoga Fued and meditated and also just chilled out. I didn't eat breakfast so I wouldn't have to digest.. and it was nice doing moves, pushups, stretches and then just gazing at the clouds. Like a real vacation. A cheap one too.

Then I figured I would do the forms on the mat in a more or less stationary position as a warm up. I mean you do exert your self and you get in cardio too, but you won't pull something like you might if you run and jump doing the real form. The truth is, the real forms are kind of brutal on your body.

After all that I decided to do Walking forms. I had done running forms in the past, where I free style and use the form techniques but I try to use the whole field. This time I did it walking. It's just too hot. So it kind of had the concepts of Bak Gwa, like that medium speed walking type fighting... but it wasn't the same as Bak Gwa at all. Each technique brought you almost to it's own system of movement. All this was a warm up to do the actual form... performance style. But then when it came time to doing the actual form. I was tired. I mean I could have done it, but past experience told me that I also could have pulled something. Not like "i'm injured for a week" type of a pull, but why even strain? Instead why not build up to that. Yeah I've been doing Kung Fu for years... but it's been a while since I did so much Kung Fu. I mean I was out there for hours. Yeah a lot of it was just chilling but still. It was more to pass the time than to get it done.

But I realized that eventually I think I want to teach this way. Stationary or indoor Kung Fu... I mean I remember so many issues from people being in each others space. Having a Yoga mat is like having assigned seating. But to do just Horse Stance meditation for two hours. Well people can still do that. But other people can follow along doing form moves too.

Learning the form... that would be more like a lesson. One on one. with someone. Doesn't have to be me. Theoretically Noah could teach quite a few forms now.

And then for getting use to moving more... the fields.. or the woods, or even the side walk. Just go for a Kung Fu Run..

and then yes of course performing the forms should be part of it too as well as play sparring. All of which can be done outside.

The point is, I don't really need a brick and mortar school. I do need students or members to have a bigger team or group if I want to go that route. But in terms of training, a brick and mortar room, even if it is free, is not necessarily better. In some ways it can hole you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment