Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, August 12, 2016

Excited about Saturday's Onset Cape Verdean Festival.

I'm going to be going to this tomorrow and part of it is I'm going to start writing articles about the Cape Verdean Community. This might seem sort of weird to some, since I'm not Cape Verdean, but the draw is to do something Like I have been doing with the Chinatown Blog.. except I will be a complete outsider. I am excited to do this because having blogged about Chinatown...I did notice a lot of benefits to being somewhat of an insider... but in many ways there were more draw backs to having those ties to the community. They were vulnerabilities and subconscious censorship as well as blindness to to things that only an outsider could see.

I'm pretty excited about this, like I'm travelling or at least stepping outside of my comfort zone. Part of it was talking to so many people in Chinatown who started off as outsiders but then quickly became a part of the community.

And getting mildly banished had something to do with it as well. It was a good and exhilarating thing, to be cast out, because it allowed me to look at everything as an outsider and travel elsewhere to do the same work and to learn from other people who are doing amazing things as well.

Then Sunday I will hang out in Chinatown for the August Moon Festival I won't have my kids and I won't even have my team. Which means I will have no responsibilities or strings or anything. I aim to have some fun being a tourist in my own community.

No comments:

Post a Comment