Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Musashi Fly swatting

Grace was freaking out about a fly in the house and then armed me with two fly swatters which she tossed at me yelling, "Hai!" I snatched them out of the air and assumed a Kung Fu stance. Rather, it would have been cool if I caught them both like that. Instead I dropped one of them. Then I assumed a Kung Fu stance, and let my swatters dance like drum sticks in the air as I awaited my prey. The interesting thing is, before I started training Kung Fu seriously, I could catch a fly with my hands with little difficulty. But I am no longer able to do this. At least not in the house, when Grace is freaking out about it. I decided instead of waiting for it to land, I would take it out mid air and then finish it off with a control hit once it fell to the ground stunned. Only I saw my opportunity with a jump and hit towards the kitchen windows in an unorthodox strike. I felt my swatter connect. They were brand new and really good, but I could not find the fly. 
"You better find it or it will revive itself" she freaked out. I think the reason I could catch the fly before with my hands was because I was not hunting the fly. The fact that the fly existed did not actually bother me. It was just cool to see if I could do it. However, Grace can not abide a fly at all.

In any case after searching for a while for the stunned fly to no avail, I found the fly was actually still stuck in the swatter, some white guts splashed through but the body for the most part still in tact. 

"Look!" I said showing Grace. 

"Wow I've never seen that before." 

I decided to take it outside to dump the body, where it would either revive itself (unlikely) or become compost or whatever. 

As I used one swatter to take the fly out of the other, scraping them together, I realized with disappointment in my lack of foresight that a picture would have been nice, as this would make a good blog post. I mentioned this to Grace and she said that she thought that's what I had gone to do, take a picture, not dump the fly outside. 


Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment