Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, September 12, 2014

First class at Noah's After school

The first class went pretty well. I pretty much did the same thing I do at Little Panda with some adjustments. We only did one song, and I tried to show them how to move in a circle Kung Fu dance. Even though the kids were older than little panda it just took a little longer to get everything set because it was the first day of class, where as Little Panda Preschoolers pretty much know everything that is coming. Also, these kids seemed more focused for the basics. So instead of just doing ten each I did 30 each at first.

I don;t know there was definitely something different about this class though culturally. Animal moves did not come out as easily as they do with a group from Chinatown, or Roxbury. I think I have written about this before. Pretty much if you watch a lot of martial arts movies you will already know a tiger claw and do it like a real tiger claw. In fact you will be excited about being allowed to do a tiger claw and do it with enthusiasm. This class actually said all the Chinese words with enthusiasm. They did the stances with enthusiasm. But the animal moves confused them.

Chinese children will actually be somewhat embarrassed about shouting Chinese words. I have no idea why. But the animal moves are almost second nature. No, they are second nature. So I guess I forgot that they are not second nature to everyone.So anyway, some of those moves took more explanation. But they'll pick the moves up and become familiar with them with repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment