Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Baba! Teach Me Kung Fu!

Break of dawn. The morning has come.
My son opens his eyes and rools over.
"Baba!" he calls in a hushed but excited tone.
"Let's Fight!"

Bows opening and fighting stance prepared.
Kung Fu Soap opera moves carried out with stength (to the air)
and fluff to the person. At least in my case.

Hai! and Ha! and NGRRRAa!
"Quietly" I say, "It is still morning and early."
Indeed The younger one and Mommy are  still sleeping.

Enough is done. sets of 100s to warrant rest and heavy breathing.

And then the question.

"Baba how did you practice when you first started training for real?"


And I answered him.

It was a story, ajourney for me, as well as a physical summary of the class.

"First we meditated like this. For 20 minutes and then we breathed in and out. Then we stretched."
 and we stretched Father and son and did all that we had done when I was a beginner student from Calisthenics to Basic movements and bowing and breaks, though in less numbers and less time. As one does not need to rest for 10 minutes when one has not been really working out for that long. I told him of stories told and rituals done.

At the end were forms. And at first he simply wanted to watch. But then he did those too. And so it was a story of Kung Fu and a practice of Kung Fu. All before 8am.

"And then we would eat dinner." I said,"Because our classes were usually at night instead of early in the morning. And my son began to pretend to eat.
But why not really eat?

"Let's eat breakfast and pretend that it is dinner." he said

"Okay."

A wonderful way to start the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment