Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, December 22, 2014

Tree Ceremony

We went to Macy's in Center City to see the Tree Lighting show where the Eagle is. I guess it is a thing. We got teir early so we went around terminal market and the kids looked at the trains. We had a Philly Cheese steak, an authentic one. I just had a taste because I felt like I needed to fast after all those noodles. Grace was mad at me for this.
The taste I had was really good actually.

We then traveled back to the tree lighting show which wasn't all that in terms of the show. It was a ritual based much on Episcopalian Church, including organ playing to usher us out. It was the world biggest playing organ.

Grace said they should just to the show more often.

Though what I knew while partaking in the ritual was that the big draw was not the show itself, but the crowd. Where religion has declined, big companies have taken their place, and we naturally need a Giant Temple to do something at.

I thought of how Jesus got all mad because of vending in a Temple (which was common practice.)
But today's Temples have the templing as a part time attraction and it is the commerce that is the central function.

Macy's not only made some money off of us at the parking, and some shopping, (this cash takes the place of a sacrifice or incense) but if you believe in this, they reaped in a ton of THOUGHT for good luck as well.  This type of thinking is less out in the open in the West. But in Feng Shui, for instance, you would place steps and a doorway in such a way that someone coming in would have to bow to your businesses sign out of convenience, and the believe is that the idea or thought of making them bow (even if not intentionally out of respect or worship) will make your business have a higher chance of success.

Well I'm actually glad we did the Tree Ceremony thing. Not that I would do it again, but it was nice, and I had the Christmas song from the organ stuck in my head. Good will and Joy to everyone and all that.

On the way back we went to Chuck E. Cheeses. I think the kids enjoyed that more, and it came out to be the same price as our journey into the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment