Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Philly Nan Zhou noodles

Boston's Chinatown is supposed to be decent. New York's is supposed to be better. And when I was a little kid, Philly's Chinatown was smaller than Boston's/ Well while Boston's Chinatown is declining Philly's seems to be coming up. The land is cheap which means there is no need to cut corners with ingredients.
Maybe my memory is failing me, as I haven't been to Asia in quite a while, but while eating Nan Zhou hand pulled noodles in Philadelphia I tried really hard to think of a bowl of noodles that was better, and I couldn't. It wasn't just the noodles. The vegetables in the soup were fresh and had more vegetable taste than you usually have at a restaurant. We had just eaten lunch in New York earlier today and that bowl of noodles was on par with New York for sure.

While  we were preparing to leave, two people sat next to us who were obviously deep into the current movement against police brutality. From their conversations I could tell they had been to several protests. I haven't met anyone that into it that seemed to well represent the movement more eloquently as well as be active. So I decided to quickly talk to them before leaving. Yes they were both black. 

I just wanted to see how they would react to my community policing idea. They said it was probably a good idea but what really needed to be done was simple policy. Simply make a rule that you can't shoot unarmed people dead. I pointed out that theoretically that should be against the rules. But if you think about it, in practice, it isn't. 

Is all this really that simple? A more well hashed out law? If it is, that would be nice. And if that all it takes, then the protests could work.  

They also talked with each other about the possibility of the whole thing escalating into violence. 

"I'm not worried about anything on our side. I think we are pretty clear about being nonviolent and distancing ourselves from any individuals who are going in that direction. We aren't against Police. We are against Police brutality and I think we are pretty clear about that. But I am worried about it turning violent on the other side. (meaning the police) this just got real." he said in a calm and eloquent way.

The other man pointed out that he wasn't sure how deeply he wanted to commit. He talked about being at a protest with the Police lined up in barricade style and thought how the whole thing just seemed odd. Surreal.

"I wouldn't want to be in New York right now." Agreed the first man. And talked about the possibility of a mounting reactive protest. 

The mentioned an upcoming march, tonight. 

I think even if I didn't have children, I probably would not go to such a march, because like the more apprehensive man, I feel that the whole thing could get ugly fast. After all, people die in crowds that form for Red Sox games when tear gas is fired at people instead of up, let alone something directly seen as a challenge to the Police (and nuance about being against Police Brutality and not police tends to be lost at night in a crowd.) Not only that, but even though the crazy guy that just killed two officers in New York might have been an individual, it easy to lump all the other protesters into that camp in your mind, especially if you are a cop in that same City.

Well, while I talked to them briefly Noah would suddenly show his stone Chinese Chess piece we had bought and shout, "Chinese Chess!" which made them laugh. 

Well I hope the more outspoken man was right, and that the issue can be solved simply through policy and that the protests can push this to happen more quickly. I mean the counter argument for the police having down the right thing is that the shootings of Michael Brown and all the others were lawful. Even if you didn't make it murder, but simply made it a rule that any officer who does that will automatically be off the force and perhaps serve some other sort of penalty would that fix it? Or let's go further and just call it murder or at least manslaughter. Shouldn't that fix it?

I happen to doubt it.

One thing we all agreed on was that these noodles were some of the best in town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment