Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, October 24, 2013

A cold workout and two sales pitches

While Jonah was at group I decided to go and practice. My goal was 45 minutes of movement. I started with slow mein lei jum/tai chi like moves. Not too slow, as it was cold out. Actually first I stripped down to my T-shirt and shorts. (I have taken to wearing cargo shorts underneath whatever long loose pants I choose to wear. It just makes more sense the way the weather has been changing. Plus I get to wear jogging pants, but still have the durable pockets of the cargo shorts.) As I began to move more I ended up taking off my shirt too even though it is cold. I've seen people (mostly white people) do this and always thought they were crazy. But it actually makes sense. You are trying to keep your body from sweating. It's the sweat being all over you and then the wind hitting you that really makes you cold. I didn't do 45 minutes. Grace called me at some point. I think I managed around 30 minutes of punching kicking and other Kung Fu moves mixed in there at a pretty strong pace most of the time. O did get that coughing feeling I usually get when the cold wind dehudrates you, but luckily I had two bottles of water with me so that problem was solved.
After I put some clothes on and walked back toward Jonah's group a mother with her child at a nearby playground commented, "You should have seen him imitating you. He was quite good." I laughed and walked on and then stopped.
"You know I have a class for children and parents on Saturdays 10 am at Pinebank Jamaica Pond."
"Where in Jamaica Pond?"
"You know where JP soccer is?"
"Oh yeah."
"Behind that."
My first pitch to a total stranger. I'm just not a salesman by nature so I'm proud of myself when I actually do this.
I later met a mother at another playground after Jonah's group who I sort of know from various Playground conversations. And I mentioned my class to her too. This may sound so miniscule and sad compared to Girl Scouts who proactively go door to door. But I could never do that sort of thing as a child. And I even find difficulty selling this class, which is free, because I just don't like doing it. So I'm proud of myself when i manage to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment