Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Testing the Kei Lun

I just brought my unfinished Kei Lun/ Kirin/Qilin around the pond to test it out. I brought my Go Pro along to get some footage. The first thing I noticed is I cut myself on the cardboard. I guess I did this doing lion dance too but not as easily. The problem is the handles that I made for this Kirin are not good enough. So I am glad that I brought it out and shot footage of it even though I haven't painted it or even fully sealed it with glue water yet. Basically I have to cut into it and tie another cloth handle further into the head. It was really annoying to do the Kei Lun steps and not be able to move the head quickly corresponding to my feet because of the lack of a strong handle. I felt like some sort of nube learning to walk.
In fact I sound so lame right now complaining about not having a good grip, but yes, I need a better grip than I realize. Of course this head is not going to be perfect. But I can make it just a little better.

I bet some factory could make a better one quite easily out of a plastic mold and sell it for $20.00 Or even make a plush version.

But it does feel different, having made it myself. I think instead of the Chinese red cloths that they tie on it I will be taking things from nature to tie on the finished product. Maybe I will bring it to the pond to deem jing and I will mix the tradition of Catholicism.. sort of. Father son and holy spirit doesn't sound as inclusive as Tian , Dei, Sun... Heaven earth and Holy Spirit. In this day even the Heavenly term is sort of problematic since the earth sits in a small part of Heaven. I guess Cosmos, and Earth.... well to me Earth represents our little lives as we experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment