Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, June 13, 2016

Running Kung Fu in the morning

Noah and I have started getting up early to run around Jamaica Pond in the morning. While we run I do some basic Kung Fu. I did not ask Noah to do punches pows and cups.... he decided to do them on his own. I was shocked because I have become accustomed to Kung Fu time being a chore and like pulling teeth.

"This is a more fun way to practice." He told me. It's interesting because it's also more difficult. It doesn't require a studio (we are just running outside) and I really get a work out.

He likes it because it s more like sports. I remember 4th Uncle, My Sifu's younger brother, saying that he didn't do Kung Fu the way we do it, doing a whole form. He just worked on the fighting stuff. Mainly this was because for him, Kung Fu was just for fighting. Chuen Pow cup and some other techniques. So the training would remind you more of boxing... except the moves were different. And that's what Noah and I are doing right now.

Now this way of practicing would be fairly intense for a lot of people who are out of shape and are used to just working out at a Kung Fu school, slow like and talking for hours and then doing another move. It's not a class. It's self practice. But Noah already knows a bunch of forms. At this point he just has to get the Gung and I can show him forms like a story.

(Side note: I really should start writing a "Kung Fu and Parenting" sequel because that first book only deals with adjusting to the idea of being a parent. But now I really feel like I have more of a relationship with my children.)

At the same time, compared to people who regular work out, running and all that, this work out is easier by far. I'm only going as fast as a 6 year old. We only went once around the pond not freaking 5 times or whatever athletes do. But I also felt like it was enough for the day. It was only 30 minutes. Not the average recommended 45 minutes, and I didn't practice as hard as I would have without Noah. But I could have. And I also got some social time with Noah. Granted if this was winter it would be more difficult to go around the pond.... but it would still be doable. We still have other stuff to work on. Forms, lion dance, etc. But that's just because in addition to practicing for the Kung Fu aspects, we also have performances to do. It's nice to get the Gung part out of the way in the morning because now I don't feel like I have to worry about that when we do it later. It will be more about art.

No comments:

Post a Comment