Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Stand Up Comedy

I've really been thinking about doing stand up Comedy. Grace thinks it's a terrible idea, which is actually making me think about doing it even more. You can tell how much I'm thinking about it by the fact that I'm writing this at 6:30 am on a Sunday. Basically, I've always wanted to be on stage. In high school I was in a couple of musicals, and that was pretty much the only successful thing in high school I did. Well there was also Orchestra, where I was third violin, not exactly a soloist, but that was also an aspect of life I loved. There was performing music, and the only thing I kind of have left is performing Kung Fu, and teaching Kung Fu. Teaching in and of itself is a performance as well. I've been missing that rush of nervousness you get. Well no, recently I got that rush of nervousness, but there a lot of negative aspects to performing in the group. You depend on the entire group and even if you do a good performance, there is politics. Every cast, band, choir, etc has these issues. Not only that, but most groups have to rehearse, and I guess I just don't have time for that. So basically logistically I could definitely do stand up. Think about it, if I just performed on the weekend, for free (I have no illusions here) how long would that take? I could do that. Even if I eventually get a 9-5 job I could do that. Then the other work is just finding material and practicing in my head. I can do that too. I think I would enjoy, and get a sense of accomplishment out of doing stand up, even if I don't do that well with the audience, every week. Of course I want to be a success at this, but my point is, even "failing" would be fun. I mean it would be a night out. And honestly, having taught children Kung Fu, and math, and English, at a summer camp, I've already dealt with hecklers and having people be bored while I was talking. If anything, Stand Up would give me the tools and experience I need to become a better teacher. And teaching is what everyone is always telling me I should get into. And in a few years, I can see that I might start down that path.. might. But I wouldn't want to teach 9-5 in school for free. Because I am teaching right now, it's just that it's Kung Fu.. a total of about 45 minutes a week. And I'm almost doing that for free and I don't mind that because it's convenient. Not only would doing stand up improve my teaching but I have it worked out where it could help market my kung fu teaching. Alright, time to write out some material.

No comments:

Post a Comment