Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Reading "The Paper Menagerie" for bed time stories.

The other night I read the story the Paper Menagerie, in Ken Liu's book, with the title of the same name. It's cool because it has origami animals that come to life. I had forgotten how racial it is though. When I read it to myself I didn't cry...but when I read it to them, I started bawling at the end. Luckily they had fallen asleep by that time already. I mean real tears were coming down.

I still haven't finished all the stories though.

The Kwan Gung story is long, but I think it will be a story I will read over and over for several reasons. I like how that story talks about the mixing of traditions. And it definitely inspired me to make the Jamaica Plain Chinese New year event an even bigger deal next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment