Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, February 6, 2017

A Superbowl Confession

Last night when we won the Superbowl the Facebook page exploded with everyone's comments. But I will tell you the truth. I watched the first half of the game and then Grace went to bed saying, "It's over already."

Jonah was sick... but I actually did not go to sleep. Instead, I switched to Netflix and started binge watching "Reign" a show that really was made for teenage girls, about Mary Stuart AKA Mary Queen of Scots.


My point is... I'm weird.

I think when I was in school and people could really see that I didn't have a lot of interest in sports games on TV (I played them at recess, I just didn't watch them) They viewed me strangely.

It wasn't that I seemed perhaps less American... I went to school with a lot of people that were not born in this country and I was.

It was more like, that I was not fully HUMAN.

Most people sitting down for the Super Bowl were thinking about strategies and battle plans.

My thoughts were more along the lines of being amazed that in City after City, these giant stadiums are built solely for the purpose of football... and that they can actually MAKE money.

Would Americans in the 1800's been able to have imagined this? Well what will our culture be like 200 years later?


When I found out that they won at that the Victory Parade will be Tuesday, I thought, "Maybe I should cancel my dentist appointment."

 Not to go to the parade, but to avoid it.

I heard their were riots in Boston and Atlanta.

 To make a blanket statement about race... it does seem that while black people will riot when something is lost... strangely white people riot when they win. Like Nordic Savages frothing at the mouth it is the excitement of winning that boils their blood to violence.

In fact, one could argue that the founding of our Country was actually one prolonged and organized riot starting with the Tea Party and ending with.... well maybe it never actually ended.


I saw some hashtags about how this will not effect the next 4 years of your life.

I don't begrudge people their fun. I'm just pointing out that I am more interested in the what people's reactions are around sports, than the actual sport itself. If were to join in the chaos (which I am more likely to go hide and avoid it to be honest) while others would scream "We F-ing WOn!!!!!" I would be like, "We're F-ing rioting!!!!!"

Do I wish that I had seen it? I guess. But to watch it alone while Jonah is lying there sick would be doubly depressing. I've only ever watched the game at a party with friends. Because I guess I am not watching the game.

I'm watching them watch the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment