Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Disney's Kicking It

My kids have been obsessed with this show about a Karate school. It's silly and I don't even like parts of it. But my kids will watch this and be cracking up and in tears. Mainly I was attracted to the fact that the show is centered around a Martial Arts school, but it's not like it's a gang or whatever. I always wanted to make a show that centered around Moh Goon. I mean it's very Disney, but I was very tickled by the idea of having all these fight scenes and what not. I wanted to ban them from watching it. But since they are sick and seem to enjoy it so much I figure what the hell.

What's my problem with it anyway? I guess it has a lot of Disney-esque stereotypes and you have the Chinese Character for learn or school up there but virtually no Asian Characters (though the main character Jack, might be mixed) Black people all act a certain way, and you are supposed to laugh. Nerds act a certain way, jocks act a certain way, there is the hot blond character that acts a certain way. None of it is overtly racist. In fact there is probably an argument for it being "diverse" and  showing multi-culturalism.

My problem is that my kids might not even have been exposed to these "mainstream" categories and lables yet and this is how they learn about them....


It seems harmeless....

But whatever, even i like watching it. And the kids are doing more moves around the house.

The Karate grandmaster is actually called Bobby Wasabi (you see what I mean?) But part of me is like... "Should we make up a silly Kung Fu chain?" I guess this is how the mainstream views martial arts, so it's good to at least know that, even if we don't have to copy it.

I guess at the end of the day, the kids like it and the violence is less than Inuyasha or whatever, and there is laughing in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment