Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Friday, October 14, 2016

The morning workout

I see people running around the pond except for old ladies and then me. I walk. I go to a nice part of the beach (because the pond is so dry) and do my Mein Lei Jum Tai Chinj like moves and run through my forms.

It was after talking to a friend about how he had felt some really great results after starting Tai Chi that I have decided to start doing this more regularly. I even do my external forms slow and measured and not even a whole lot of tense power into it.

At some point I take a break and my mind wanders and my imagination flies.

I used to think of these flights of fancy as problems, lack of focus. But now I realize I am actually working out some problems in my mind. If anything the early morning exercise is more mental than physical.

Perhaps the movements do not even prepare my body for what an actual fight would entail.

I mean strikes and flexibility yes. But more than that, my body will be able to perform the forms if for some reason, randomly, I am called onto a stage to perform in front of people. For me, this happens more often then you would think.

I think about some Jiu Jitsu videos I watched with Noah and the chokes. I realize that to choke someone out (and then let them revive) is much more safe in terms of the law... but then if a knife is pulled during this encounter...much more dangerous. In the end it's not only good to know both ways to handle the situation... but a variety of other strategies to deal with it, many which do not involve martial arts at all.

But still the early morning Kung Fu is good for you.

The Placebo effect was featured on last Sunday's This Sunday Morning.

So even taking a pill when you know it is fake medicine can help you.

So the same should be true of an exercise that increases blood flow and is stretches and strengthens your limbs.

The elderly Tai Chi and Kung Fu routine is good for the body and soul.

I'm going to start doing it more often. And not worry about getting in hard practice as much.


No comments:

Post a Comment