Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Monday, October 31, 2016

Halloween

I used to be all excited to try and do everything with the kids on Hallowee. I catually pulled them out of BCNC early with delusions of trick treating in JP and on Beacon Hill.
Then it was Dunster Road and the Library parade.

But this year less was more.

We went to the Connolly branch library, which had a band, fruit, chips, empanadas and other food as well if you were willing to wait in line. You could decorate a real pumpkin and get your face painted.

We did want to wait in line so we just had fruits and some snacks while listening to the band and then ducked out before it became too crowded and waited for the parade to start.

We didn't hit every store on the route because why collect candy you can't finish anyway?

We just walked along with friends dancing to the band. It was a lot like lion dance.

"How did it become Candy? What's the story of Halloween?" Noah asked me. I explained Samhain. The Celtic Holiday where the door to the other world was opened and spirits mixed with our world, some malevolent some good. You dress up so that the malevolent ones don't bother you.  

Bread and water was left out for friends and family visiting.

There was also supposedly some dance with a sheep's head, but whether that was actually Samhain or Beltane is unclear as far as I can tell and I'm no scholar.


The parade ended at Hyde Square Task force where there was music blasting from speakers powered by children turning bicycle gears and all sorts of games... none fo which we played really except to hang out.

Eventually we headed home hitting some stores and houses on the way,
The dentist office handed out toothbrushes, and Food Wall handed out Durian Candy and Fortune Cookies.

I love it.

In fact if everyone passed out something more specific to their business that would be awesome as far as I'm concerned.

The kids had a little candy, And by a little I mean way too much but less then 10% of what they collected.

 I passed out some candy. (Or pretzels rather.)

And we ate dinner.

Now we are chilling at home and the chips pretzels and extra candy is sitting outside for children.

Good enough. Way good enough. Did I get old?

I don't know, I just feel like walking for long periods of time and stressing yourself out is not all its cracked up to be.

But then... maybe when they are older  we will do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment