Kung Fu and Love

Kung Fu and Love
A great gift for Valentine's day or Chinese New Year

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Kung Fu Stoic Week

 A friend of mine wrote this post on his blog about Stoic Week. I vaguely know what it is, but only from reading his blog. I always tell myself I will look into it, but actually.. Joe Callahan why don't you break it down for us Lay people who aren't going to bother to Wikipedia it.

I know you probably wrote an old article about it, but how about one more time just for kicks.

Anyway, with regards to my practice, this sounds like a god idea. A week where I do exercises and maybe my students do exercises that we are supposed to do all the time anyway.

I guess that's my real question. What are the specific exercises.


I realize that for a martial artist, I am extremely chaotic and undisciplined. Not lazy. I practice every day. But the way I get it in is nuts.

I was talking to another Sifu, Mai Du, whose Warrior Spirit event is coming up soon in Malden. She mentioned that she meditates every day at a specific time.

This is something I do not do. I mean I go in and out of meditating every day etc. But the fact that she has a specific time that is a meditation time. I'm not saying this is better for her Kung Fu then what I do (though it may very well be better) But it is definitely apparent in other aspects of life.

For instance she has a successful school. I don't. But she started her own school in a similar situation as me, while taking care of kids at home. She still has a full time job, and is able to achieve all of these things.

I know because more than a decade ago a co worker was studying with her and mentioned the Malden School. I was teaching at Kwong Kow at that time.

Discipline may or may not be a factor in my Kung Fu. I think I'm all right in terms of Kung Fu itself. Of course I could be better.

But where I really see a problem is in having a school.

If I was more Stoic and disciplined about doing something every day in a rational manner I may have achieved something greater by now, instead of continuing to run around chasing a few students. Or maybe my books would have sold better. Or maybe my Blogs would be making money. I'm not sure. But I do see value in putting aside time to do exrecises. In Kung Fu, stoicism, writing, or working on your career.

No comments:

Post a Comment